Sunday, November 9, 2008

Homemade Gnocci with brown butter sage sauce


Yesterday was an indoor movie watching don't-go-outside kinda day. I had a wild ambitious hair to make homemade gnocchi. It was much easier than I thought and turned out pretty darn delicious.

Recipe for gnocchi:
2 Ibs. russet potatoes boiled for 45 minutes then peel
1/4 cup beaten egg
3/4 cup flour

knead it all together and roll out into long doughy snakes. Divide into 1 inch pieces and press with a fork. Ready to boil. Once they float to the top they're done unless you take the next step and quickly sear them (I did and worth it).

Sage Sauce:

3 Tablespoons Earth Balance olive oil spread
1 garlic clove chopped up
1/2 onion
as much fresh sage as you desire...I added 10-15 leaves
7 sliced shitake mushrooms
cherry tomatoes sliced in half
saute and simmer 15 minutes

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

mmmmmmmmmm u have to try the ravioli at apizz. it's brown-butter-sage-carmelized butternut squash rav with ricotta and mascarpone, served opened at 2 ends so it all spills out.

Kiki Colore said...

woah! that sounds amazing...

Allie said...

um, this was some of the best gnocchi of my life. possibly one of the best meals of my life, and definitely with the best people.

Maggie said...

this sounds effing delicious. i think i will take a break from my soup making obsession and give this a try tomorrow.